Friday, February 10, 2012

small space, small budget, big impact!

So let’s be honest, I have a hideous, old bathroom and I’m not Genevieve Gorder with an HGTV crew or have a $10,000 budget to gut and renovate this monstrosity.   I think a lot of people find themselves in the same situation:  stuck with an ugly bathroom with little options.
So how does one proceed? A lipstick job is in need!  If you have a similar quandary, paint and accessories will be your best friend.  Here are some tips that I think will help you on your quest for a presentable powder room.
Paint- Although some may counter, I believe that small bathrooms could use a dose of color. Whenever I find myself at a large home improvement store, I always check the “oops” shelf for mixed paint that was deemed a mess-up.  These “oops” gallons, quarts, even samples are priced slashed up to 75%, making a gallon of regular paint around $6-8! Such a steal. I found this “oops” paint in a salmon pink and based my room around it.  I painted walls and ceiling to distract from the tiny dimensions of the space. 
Lighting, hardware and mirrors- These are the details that really age a bathroom.  I was lucky to have a recently replaced light fixture and sink handle (both were cheap though!).  I replaced the run-of-the-mill rectangular mirror with a circular, beveled mirror.  I think this adds a vintage touch.
Storage- Especially in tiny bathrooms, storage is a commodity.  Take advantage of vertical space with over-the-commode storage, shelves or cabinets.
Photos- Like I’ve said before, I truly believe a space should reflect your individual style, even the bathroom.  I love the photo frame collection hung across from the toilet.  I really didn’t feel like looking at pictures of the family at those moments, so I chose pictures from trips in eclectic frames.
Accessories- Be bold! Your shower curtain can be a show piece. Many stores carry curtains with great graphics and fun motifs. Shop cheap! Thrift stores and garage sales can be a treasure trove of crystal bowls, glasses, and vases to accessorize your potty room.  Be utilitarian! Use these beautiful finds to store usable items like Q-tips and Cotton Balls. Display your pretty things. Today, products themselves hold great aesthetic.  Whether it’s makeup, soaps, or hair products gather pretty products of different heights and similar style and create a vignette.  Metallics are another way to bounce light around small bathrooms which are often not exposed to natural light.

My restroom restyle budget broke down like this:
·         Bright paint- $6 Oops paint! Home Depot
·         Over-the-commode space saver- $50 Walmart
·         Bold print shower curtain- $19.99 sale! Urban Outfitters
·         Circle mirror- $19.99 Ikea
·         Bath mat- $12 Home Goods
·         Photo frames- under $10.00 Target/ Home Goods
·         Vintage crystal- under $5 thrift stores/ garage sales
·         Vintage silver bird- $2 thrift store
·         Jewelry hook- $9.99 Pier One
·         Vintage-esque glass knobs- $14.99 Pier One
·         Vases- under $10 Home Goods

So for less than $200, you can dress up that lame lavatory and turn it into a space you’ll love to do you business in!!

1 comment: